Pages

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Finally a Family (Part 2)


No Wi-Fi for a awhile, sorry for the delay...

So there we are, parents for the first time with a child that had only just met us and couldn’t understand a word I was saying.  I am in shock that she is such a trooper.  We took a Taxi from the orphanage to the High Speed Train.  For the next 2 hours we starred at her.  I found all her little freckles, the scar from her vaccination, her Mongolian Spots that will likely fade away one day, and counted every single mosquito bite (there are a lot).  I examined each finger and every toe.  I wanted to memorize every inch of her.  


She slept most of the way but when she was a wake she loved the window seat.  She wanted to see everything.  It was all so new to her.  The Metro was the same way.  She wanted to see everyone and touch everything.  This was all a whole new world that we were showing her.

Even Xiao Gou needed a nap.

Baba will have to start fighting for the window seat.
Being Caucasian in Taiwan can often get stares.  I have even been asked to take pictures with strangers or if someone can touch my hair.  Well try being a Caucasian couple with a Taiwanese baby.  We got so many stares, smiles, laughs, and you can’t believe the comments.  “Well she doesn’t look like a foreigner?!?” or “Let me guess, she is Korean”!  Le Le didn’t mind all the attention.  Actually we were getting a little worried that she didn’t mind much at all.  From the time we picked her up at St Lucy’s Center she hadn’t smiled, laughed, or even cried.  I had no idea if this was normal and I am beyond grateful to the friends I have made through my Taiwan Support Groups who gave me some of the reassurance I needed that this can be normal.  She is going to need time and a lot of it.  Being in a hospital and then in an orphanage for your entire life doesn’t prepare you for new parents, new surroundings, and the emotionally skills you need to make sense of it all.

Once we got back to the hotel we let her crawl and roll around.  She loved the freedom.  Brian and I figured out feeding, diaper changes, and eventually how Le Le likes to be comforted.  The first night was really rough.  We were told she fell asleep around 10 so that is what we aimed for.  By 10:30 she was out and we were so proud of ourselves.  By 11:30 she woke up a little fussy.  We might be the only parents who woke up cheering when we heard our daughter cry since it is the first noise we have heard from her and the first obvious emotion.  After about 1 hour we got her back to sleep. And then 3:30 am came and she cried so hard.  It was a heartbreaking cry.  We think that she was truly mourning and we didn’t know what to do.  We held her and rocked her. When we gave her a bottle she finally calmed down but never went back to sleep.  She was ready to play!  This included crawling, kicking, and eventually laughing! She mad herself giggle after kicking us over and over again.  We loved it!  Again, probably the only parents that loved being kicked by their daughter way too early in the morning.
She can pull herself up to a stand and
choke Baba at the same time
She LOVES looking out the window

On 3-4 hours of sleep, we had to get ready for our AIT appointment for her Visa.  We now know that once you have a kid, she is the only one that might get fed and ready.  Brian and I left for the appointment hungry, with wet hair, and whatever clothes were near by.  If Le Le was old enough then I am sure she would have been embarrassed.

At our AIT appointment, there are no cameras so you will have to envision a small room with lots of paperwork!  We were able to meet the other family that was at the orphanage at the same time as us.  They adopted a 2 year old who cried the moment they stopped moving the stroller.  I guess she found out what a stroller was and they were stuck.  I was shocked to find out that this family had waited since 2007 for their daughter!  It put our 2 ½ years in perspective.  We were both so grateful that the gentleman at the counter was able to welcome our daughters to the USA and approve their Visas!  Those simple words brought tears to my eyes as he reminded me that we were getting close to the end of a very long journey.
Outside of AIT with Taipei 101way in the background
After AIT we hung out at the Starbucks where we got to Face Time with some of our family.  Le Le even smiled and laughed!  As a warning to all of those that has not seen this event in person, she looks like she is crying in the photos but I promise that it is the best little smile and such an amazing laugh!
My Beautiful little Girl

This is a Smile and her laugh!



The rest of the afternoon was spent napping and eating back at the hotel.  Brian had to go back to AIT to pick up her Visa.  When he got back, he passed out cold.  We all tried to catch up on our lack of sleep.   When he finally woke up, we all went out to try to keep Le Le up a little later and hopefully tire her out.  After her first bath, I am pleased to say that she slept 11 hours that night!  Lets all hope that is the version of Le Le we get on the plane ride home.  

Out Cold!
Bath Time!  Still have not decided if she likes it our not.

Finally!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Now the journey has turned from the journey of adoption to the daily journey of figuring out a lovely little one! Parenting is the greatest adventure and you have so much to enjoy learning with Le Le.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to meet her when she's ready! It's so exciting to see you all together finally.

Anonymous said...

Darling pictures! So glad we'll be back in AZ so we can meet her!

jen said...

You know I've been stalking your blog. This has been my favorite post ever! It is all part of the parenthood, sharing in both the heartbreak and the joys of your child. Sounds like you guys are taking it all in stride and doing great as first time parents. Those smiling pics are just priceless! I think it's wonderful how comfortable she seems with you already! Can't wait for the next update!