 |
| On our way to meet Le Le |
 |
| Xiao Gou ready to meet Le Le |
What can I say? The last 2 days have been a whirlwind! First of all, Le Le is beautiful and we are all together finally! Finally!!! As most of you know, we have been wanting to start a family for a very long time and to think that we have a 1 year old now is incredible. As expected, everything has changed. Life revolves around her and we couldn't be happier about it. Our initial meeting did not go as planned. It was not the event we were hoping for. We thought we could take pictures and video of our first meeting. We were told they would change her into an outfit that we brought and we could be prepared for this once in a lifetime moment. Instead the morning went quite a bit different.
Sally was scheduled to be our escort but we found out that the orphanage changed the time of our hospital appt so she was unable to meet us. We found the orphanage on our own and when we arrived no one really knew what to do with us. We stood in the the security office for awhile and were told to leave our bags. Thank goodness Brian speaks Chinese because no one could have talked to us. They seemed so relieved when he overheard a conversations about two foreigners being in the office and not knowing what we were doing there and he responded in Chinese. We felt like maybe we were given the wrong instructions. Next, we found out that the nurse that was suppose to accompany us to the hospital and knew Le Le's medical history had other plans and wasn't coming. Instead a social worker with limited English and that does not know Le Le at all told us she would be coming with us. We were still so confused when they asked us us to get in the van. When we got in the van there was Le Le waiting for us. There wasn't a room full of people taking pictures or video. No one congratulated us. She was wearing a mismatched outfit that was covered in stains and they had not had time to give her a bath. But there she sat, on a lap of a women that didn't even know her waiting for her new Mama and Baba. She was the most beautiful creature I have ever seen. She was much bigger than we pictured. Her hair was so thick and dark. She was much more interested in looking out the window than meeting us but it was good to see her curiosity. Brian caught a few moments on the iPad as I held her in my arms for the first time and she wrapped her hand around my finger. She held on so tight. This was not the moment I had imagined everyday but so much more. This is the day I met my daughter.
Quickly I wanted Brian to have this moment. We switched iPad for Le Le. She seemed so comfortable and calm. He also was shocked by how big she was. You could tell he instantly fell in love and I think I have lost my husband to this little girl. She rode on Brian's lap the rest of the way to the hospital. No carseat, no seatbelt, just Baba holding her tight. This is typical in Taiwan so don't panic, we made it safely. I was told to bring Le Le to her appointment. We waited about 30 min. as we wondered why we were all brought here. She seemed healthy. No coughs, fevers, or obvious distress but the doctor wanted to meet us. This meeting was to discuss her medical history. As many of you know, she was very premature and developmentally delayed. He wanted to discuss possible outcomes that were a little overwhelming to hear but I truly think he was trying to be honest and frank. We will have a lot of work ahead of us but she now has us to help and we will do everything we can to make sure she gets everything she needs.
 |
| First Picture with Baba |
 |
| First Picture with Mom |
 |
| First Picture with Xiao Gou |

 |
| Best Baba Picture Ever! Pure Love! |
We headed back to the orphanage where were thought we were meeting up with another family but we found out that their daughter was recently ill so we could not go in the infamous "Green Couch Room" where most parents meet their kids. Instead we were placed in a small room with hardwood floors and no where for her to play. Good thing she was pretty tired and fell asleep in my lap. To our surprise, Le Le's biological mother wanted to speak with us. She was unable to come and see us but she wanted to talk to us on the phone. This was an amazing opportunity and something Le Le will treasure since we were able to record it. She loves her very much and this conversational was very personal and emotional for the entire room. We can not express the love we have for her biological mother and we know she will have a place in our lives forever.
 |
| Le Le's crib |
 |
| Le Le's room |
 |
| Orphanage |
Before we left, Sally helped go over the paperwork we needed for re-adoption in the US and her upcoming Visa appointment. The staff made a wonderful book of Le Le with a few pictures and messages to her in Chinese. They gave us some of the items from her packages we sent her such as her monkey, recordable book, blanket, and a few toys. We even got the blanket she was initially brought to St Lucy's in. They did an amazing job with giving Le Le as many memories as possible. We are so grateful for that. It was a bitter sweet day as we gained a daughter but a young mother lost her daughter. This is adoption.
 |
| Fell asleep once we go back to orphanage |

There is so much that has happened that I broke this blog into 2 parts! Sorry but now I am not just blogging, I am a mother that is trying to fit in a blog. I love it!
 |
| First Family Picture |
4 comments:
Oh my, she is so gorgeous! I am sorry to hear your meeting was so different from expected, but I suppose things rarely go as planned in adoption, and the important thing is you are now a family!!! PS. Mismatched outfits pretty much the norm in Taiwan from what I've seen, so you can think of that first outfit as part of her culture! ;) I am so happy for you guys, mom and dad!
So special. This made me cry. I remember my first few hours after I became a mother myself. Nothing had gone as planned, I was exhausted, and because I had a c-section felt I had missed out on something. However, it didn't take long to realize that becoming a mother is so much more than "plans". Congratulations on your beautiful baby. God Bless the birth mother and you and your husband.
So special. This made me cry. I remember my first few hours after I became a mother myself. Nothing had gone as planned, I was exhausted, and because I had a c-section felt I had missed out on something. However, it didn't take long to realize that becoming a mother is so much more than "plans". Congratulations on your beautiful baby. God Bless the birth mother and you and your husband.
HOORAY! I am in love with your family story. Your introduction to Le Le was so perfect - it was all it needed to be to start your family. What a cherished day and so many more to come. Sarah, you look so natural with a baby on your hip! So wonderfully excited for you all.
Post a Comment